Tuesday, August 12, 2014

I'm overweight and it's all your fault!!??



I've seen many of my friends share this video with things like "so true", "spot on", etc. While I agree that we should feed our babies/toddlers/kids healthy food (obviously) and give them a foundation for active healthy lifestyles, I feel like this video is all "blame the parents" and it rubbed me the wrong way. At some point this kid became an adult with a brain capable of thinking and reading and researching and making good choices. It's not like the only thing kids learn comes from their parents.

In elementary school I ate ice cream almost everyday after school. When I was in high school I thought it was ok to eat cookies and french fries everyday. I thought bagel sandwiches were super duper healthy. I don't do those things now and I rarely eat bagel sandwiches. Because I know better. Because I don't need that many unhealthy fats and carbs in my life. Because I care about myself. I care about my appearance and I care about my health. No one told me these things. No one sought me out to teach me about fats and carbs and proteins. I researched this stuff on my own. I know that being extremely overweight and inactive isn't healthy. I've heard a lot about "fat shaming" recently... This is not about that.

When I was pregnant I gained 100 pounds. ONE HUNDRED POUNDS. I was over 200 pounds and I'm barely 5'4. It would have been easy to stay around that weight after I gave birth to my son. Eating is awesome, I love eating. I could eat all the time. Sometimes I do. I definitely did when I was pregnant. But I wasn't happy. I wasn't happy when I looked in the mirror or sat down or put on my clothes or saw pictures from the night before. I wasn't happy getting winded from running up a flight of stairs to grab something. I wasn't happy after I finished a meal. I knew what I had to do and if you really think about it (unless someone had a medical issue causing them to gain or maintain weight) we all know what we need to do. I needed to move more. And I needed to eat less. I was eating portions the same size and sometimes larger than my 6 foot 5 boyfriend. That's just not right.

I started eating smaller healthy meals throughout the day. I didn't feel comfortable being all fat up in the gym so I started taking my new baby on hour long walks in the evening. It felt like it took forever. I didn't even notice any real changes until all of a sudden my 3 month pregnant jeans fit. I finally went to a gym. Soon I was a healthy weight for my body. It didn't happen overnight. It took about 7 or 8 months. And I wasn't to my goal weight but I finally felt comfortable. And that's the most important part. While it wasn't easy, I gotta admit that once I got over the first few days it wasn't so bad. I definitely had a bunch of cheat meals in there and messed up (aka donuts and cupcakes) occasionally.  That's OK as long as you DON'T GIVE UP.

I tell you all that so you know I haven't just been small all my life. I was the chubby kid for a while growing up. I've dealt on my own with eating disorders. I went through a whole year at college only eating one tiny meal a day. I've tried lots of diets. The eat less crap move more lifestyle is all that has worked. It's not a diet. It's a life. I know that "You need to make a lifestyle change" sounds daunting. It really doesn't have to be. If you want to change a little, try changing one little thing a day. Take a walk at night or after lunch or in the morning. If you have a dog they will love this. Try eating more fruits and vegetables when you really want to eat something less healthy. Stop with the soda and sugary drinks. Fill up on lean protein and drink more water. And don't give up! Because it will take time to notice change! The lifestyle change doesn't happen overnight. It's a process.

Just please stop blaming the parents. I understand the premise. I get it. But no child of mine will be blaming me for anything when they are 32 years old. You've literally been in control of your life for 14 years. Get a hold of yourself.

Sorry this isn't funny. Better luck next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment